Tuesday, January 8, 2008

NHD Topic Essay

My topic is how women became liberated through there clothing in the 1920s. I am doing a performance along with four other people. I choose this topic because it interested me a lot. I also thought people should be informed about all the things women had to go through so that we could wear short sleeves or a bikini, and so that we could decide who we wanted to be and where we wanted to work. Before the 1920s women were bound to be a housewife and men worked. After the war many of the men’s jobs were opened and needed to be filled, this was the lead way for women across America. With this shift in occupation came a change in clothing. Before women wore long skirts and very modest clothing. I’m interested in learning how women stood up for their rights and the things they did to try to get freedom in what they wore. My topic took place all across America during the 1920s. This was a conflict because women wanted to break tradition and become more than a “baby making machine” and a “dedicated wife”. Women felt that they could do as much work as men and we have succeeded. Also people (especially men) didn’t want to accept it. The compromise is that some people thought it was a good idea. This helped women because even though rules were strike they were still gaining their freedom little by little. After researching my topic I appreciate the women that were arrested for showing their ankles, or be exile for wearing short skirts. Also I’m am glad that they made it easy to be the boss of a man, and that when I get money from my hard work, I could spend it how I want to.

No comments: